Writers Write shares writing resources and writing tips. In this post, we share writing tips from Philippa Gregory.
She wrote her first novel, Wideacre, when she was completing her literature PhD. It sold worldwide, starting a new era for historical fiction. ‘Her flair for blending history and imagination developed into a signature style and Philippa went on to write many bestselling novels, including The Other Boleyn Girl and The White Queen.’
In 2016, she was presented with the Outstanding Contribution to Historical Fiction Award by the Historical Writers’ Association. In 2018, she received an Honorary Platinum Award from Nielsen for achieving significant lifetime sales.
We were lucky enough to host her at a literary dinner in 2006. Please read our interview with her here: The Writers Write Interview With Philippa Gregory In the interview, she says: ‘Write the best you can – honour your heart.’
In this video from Simon & Schuster Books, she shares some of her writing tips, including that she has done most of her research before she starts writing, that she can write anywhere, that she needs to trick her unconscious mind out of writer’s block, and that she does a lot of walking while writing.
Writing Tips From Philippa Gregory
Source for image.
If you enjoyed this, you will love:
- Liane Moriarty’s Writing Tips
- Patrick Ness’s 5 Main Tips For Fiction Writers
- 10 Quotable Tips From Oscar Wilde On Writing
- R.L. Stine’s 10 Tips For Curing Writer’s Block
- Simon Scarrow’s 6 Tips For Aspiring Writers
- 10 Bits Of Writing Advice From Stephen King
- George R. R. Martin’s Writing Advice
- Marian Keyes’ 3 Tips For New Writers
- Jennifer Egan’s Advice For Young Writers
- Writing Advice From The World’s Most Famous Authors
TIP: If you want help writing a book, buy The Novel Writing Exercises Workbook.