Writers Write shares writing prompts and writing resources. Use these writing prompts for May 2023 to get you writing.
It’s May. I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but dang. It’s going so fast. This month, I want to talk about changing your habits and I’m still learning from James Clear.
In his book, Atomic Habits, James Clear refers to the 3 R’s of habit change. It applies to good and bad habits, but let’s use it for good. We want to establish a writing routine. We want to build a habit of productivity. It’s a three-step process. The three R’s are Reminder, Routine, and Reward.
How do the three R’s work?
- Reminder: You need a trigger. Find a deadline. Set a daily reminder on your calendar or an alarm that signals your writing time.
- Routine: You write at a time you choose and in a space that you create. This can be at a desk with your notebook, in your bed with your computer or on the train with your phone. Choose either to write a certain number of words or set a timer. Start with a small, achievable goal and build up from there. The key is to make it a consistent practice.
- Reward: You get something for doing it. You can write down your word count every day and watch it grow. You can reward yourself with a sweet treat or another few pages of reading. Celebrate your progress.
By consistently applying the three R’s, you can establish a writing routine that becomes automatic and easy to maintain over time. Make it work for you.
Homework: Use the three R’s to set up your writing routine.
31 Writing Prompts For May 2023
Download your prompts here: 31 Writing Prompts For May 2023
Do you want a daily prompt?
If you would rather have a free daily writing prompt from us, sign up here: Join Our Newsletter
Make the most of your writing prompts. Read How To Use Writing Prompts
by Mia Botha
Looking for more prompts?
- 30 Writing Prompts For April 2023
- 31 Writing Prompts for March 2023
- 28 Writing Prompts For February 2023
- 31 Writing Prompts For January 2023
- 31 Writing Prompts For December 2022
- 30 Writing Prompts For November 2022
- 31 Writing Prompts For October 2022
- 30 Writing Prompts For September 2022
- 31 Writing Prompts For August 2022
- 31 Writing Prompts For July 2022