Writers Write shares writing resources and writing trivia. In this post, we list famous writers who died In 2020.
20 Famous Writers Who Died In 2020
- Achmat Dangor – Dangor was a South African writer and poet. His works include the novels Kafka’s Curse and Bitter Fruit. Bitter Fruit was shortlisted for the 2003 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and the 2004 Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
- Alison Lurie – Lurie was an American novelist and academic who won the Pulitzer Prize for her 1984 novel Foreign Affairs.
- Bette Greene – Greene was the author of several books for children and young adults, including the Newbery Honor book Philip Hall Likes Me, I Reckon Maybe.
- Barry Lopez – Lopez was an American author, essayist, and fiction writer whose work is known for its humanitarian and environmental concerns.
- Betsy Byars – Byars was an American author of children’s books whose novel Summer of the Swans won the Newbery Medal.
- Carlos Ruiz Zafón – Carlos Ruiz Zafón was a Spanish author of six novels, including the international phenomenon The Shadow of the Wind.
- Clive Cussler – Clive Cussler was an American adventure novelist and marine archaeologist. He was the author of more than 50 novels, many featuring the character Dirk Pitt.
- Diane Di Prima – Di Prima was an American poet associated with the Beat movement. She published more than 40 books.
- Eavan Boland – Boland was an Irish poet whose poems appeared in more than 30 collections.
- Eric Bentley – Bentley was a British-born American critic, playwright, singer, editor and translator.
- Elizabeth Wurtzel – Wurtzel was an American writer and journalist, known for the confessional memoir Prozac Nation.
- Grace Edwards – Edwards was a former director of the Harlem Writers Guild. She was first published at 55, and she wrote her first mystery, featuring a female ex-cop turned sleuth, when she was 64.
- Jan Morris – Morris was a Welsh historian, author and travel writer. Her 1985 novel Last Letters from Hav was shortlisted for the Booker Prize.
- Joanna Cole – Cole was an American author of children’s books, She was best known as the author of the Magic School Bus series, which sold more than 93 million copies.
- John le Carré – le Carré was a British author of spy novels who worked for the British intelligence services in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Mary Higgins Clark – Clark was an American author of suspense fiction. Her books have sold more than 100 million copies in the US alone.
- Michael McClure – McClure was an American poet, playwright, songwriter, and novelist.
- Sam McBratney – McBratney was a writer from Northern Ireland who is best known as the author of the best-selling children’s book Guess How Much I Love You.
- Terrence McNally – McNally was an American award-winning playwright who also received a citation from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
- Terry Goodkind – Goodkind was an American writer known for the epic fantasy series The Sword of Truth.
Other literary figures who died:
- Buck Henry – Henry was an American actor, screenwriter, and director.
- David Graeber – Graeber was an American anthropologist, anarchist activist, and author.
- George Steiner – Steiner was was a Franco-American literary critic, essayist, philosopher, and novelist.
- Luis Sepúlveda – Sepúlveda was a Chilean writer and journalist. He wrote The Old Man Who Read Love Novels.
- Pete Hamill – Hamill was an American journalist, novelist, essayist, and editor.
- Shere Hite – Hite was an American-born German author, sex educator, and feminist. The Hite Report on Female Sexuality (1976, 2004) has sold more than 50 million copies.
- Stanley Crouch – Stanley Lawrence Crouch was an American poet, music and cultural critic, syndicated columnist, novelist, and biographer.
- Terry Jones – Jones was a Welsh actor, writer, comedian, screenwriter, film director, historian, and member of the Monty Python comedy team.
- 27 Famous Writers Who Died In 2019
- 28 Famous Writers Who Died In 2018
- 22 Famous Writers Who Died In 2017
If you enjoyed this, you will love: