Writers Write is a resource for writers. In this post, we look at American author, Lev Grossman’s 7 Tips For Writers.
Lev Grossman is an American novelist and journalist. He was born 26 June 1969.
He is the author of the novels Warp, Codex, The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician’s Land. As a novelist, he is best-known for the Magicians trilogy. The Magicians books have now been published in 25 countries and adapted as a TV show that ran for five seasons. His newest book, The Silver Arrow, a novel for children, will be published in September 2020.
He was also a senior writer and book critic for Time. His essays and criticism have also been published in Vanity Fair, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Salon, Slate, Entertainment Weekly, Buzzfeed, NPR, and many other places.
We found this advice for writers and journalists on Quora and wanted to share it with you.
Lev Grossman’s 7 Tips For Writers
- ‘Get your stuff in on time.
- Don’t write anything that you wouldn’t say out loud – don’t say “perhaps”, say “maybe”. Don’t say “yet” when you mean “but”. And so on.
- Read read read, all you can, all the time. Don’t worry about other people influencing you, that’s a good thing. Your voice will still be your own.
- Write write write. Writing is a craft not a gift. You have to practice.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Make an outline.
- Don’t assume other people are smarter than you, or more talented than you, or more magic than you. Nobody knows anything. Everybody’s faking it.’
Photo credit: Mathieu Bourgois
If you enjoyed this, you will love:
- Octavia E. Butler’s Writing Advice
- Tess Gerritsen’s Writing Process
- Elizabeth Bowen’s 7 Tips For Writing Dialogue
- David Hare’s 10 Rules for Writers
- Billy Collins’s 6 Elements Of A Poem
- Max Brooks’ 5 Writing Tips
- Jodi Picoult’s Top 3 Writing Tips
- Jennifer Niven’s Top 12 Writing Tips
- 10 Writing Tips From Jeffery Deaver
- Writing Advice From The World’s Most Famous Authors
TIP: If you want help writing a book, buy The Novel Writing Exercises Workbook.