Take our free writing course and learn how to show and not tell in short stories.
How To Show And Not Tell In Short Stories
We have put together one of the best short online writing courses in our library and we want to share it with you for free. We have adapted it into an online writing course.
‘Show, don’t tell,’ is valuable advice for any writer. But even more so for a short story writer.
The limited word count in a short story means our writing has to work much harder. We don’t have 80 000 words to explain and describe, but the reader still needs to understand.
There are a few steps you can take to change your writing from ‘telling’ to ‘showing’, and we’ll be discussing them in nine lessons.
About The Course
The ‘How To Show And Not Tell In Short Stories’ free course will be broken down into nine lessons. Complete one lesson a day until the course is completed. Each instalment includes theory, examples, and exercises.
This will give you access to all the modules on our website forever!
What the course includes:
- The difference between ‘showing’ and ‘telling’. (Lesson 1)
- How to ‘show’. We will discuss the 7 techniques we use to ‘show’. (Lesson 2-8)
- When to ‘tell’. In the last lesson, we will discuss when you should ‘tell’. (Lesson 9)
We know that by showing and not telling, you will develop better ideas for your novels, memoirs, or short stories.
What you get:
- Immediate access.
- 9 awesome lessons.
The Lessons include:
Theory, exercises, techniques, and examples.
What materials do I need?
- You need a device, like a phone, a tablet, or a computer, and access to the internet.
- If you do the exercises, we encourage you to write by hand as much as possible, but, you are welcome to use any tool or material that you are comfortable with. No two methods, or two writers, are the same.
How do I complete the course?
- Set aside a time to read the lesson every day.
- Work from the online pages on the website.
- Read the lessons, absorb the theory, and take note of the examples.
- Complete the exercises.
How much is it?
How to access your online course:
Click on Objectives and get started.
|Objectives||Lesson One||Lesson Two||Lesson Three|
|Lesson Four||Lesson Five||Lesson Six||Lesson Seven|
|Lesson Eight||Lesson Nine|
Have fun and happy writing!
Who is Mia Botha?
This course was written by Mia Botha. Mia is a writer who wanted to figure out the novel-writing process for herself and along the way she turned into a writing teacher. She’s been teaching, guiding, and sharing her knowledge for almost ten years. She founded the 12 Short Stories in 12 Months and the 12 Poems in 12 Months challenges. She is also the author of Write the Crap Out of It and Other Short Story Writing Advice.
Who is Writers Write?
Writers Write is a comprehensive writing resource for creative writers, business writers, and bloggers. We have more than 1 400 articles filled with writing tips on creative writing, business writing, and blogging. Sign up for our FREE daily writing links.