Is our creative writing course, Writers Write – how to write a book, the best writing course in the world? Read what author, Marie Unanue had to say about her experiences on course.
Is Writers Write The Best Writing Course In The World?
Marie Unanue is an author and kindness advocate. In 2015, she wrote her first book, The Adventures of Phatty and Payaso: Central Park. It tells the story of a cat on a mission to stop a bully hawk.
This year, in order to write her first mystery novel, she signed up for our Writers Write – how to write a book online course. This is what she had to say:
Nothing Compares To Writers Write
“Living in New York, I have access to a variety of what some would say are the best writing courses/programs in the country. I have enrolled in many of them and when I compare the classes I took here in New York, including the ‘one on one’ mentor programs, nothing comes close to my experience with Writers Write and the facilitator, Mia Botha.
I will admit, I was hesitant about enrolling in the Writers Write online fiction course, primarily because the company is on an entirely different continent. I worried the time difference would be unmanageable. But I decided I would give it a shot.
This was by far the best decision for my writing career that I’ve ever made and I will tell you why.
7 Reasons Why I Loved The Writers Write Course
- After taking this course, not only did my writing change, but my attitude about writing did a full 180-degree turn.
- The course materials were so interesting. They not only broke writing a novel down into something so attainable and approachable, but they also broke down the art of writing, so the process didn’t feel so overwhelming and impossible.
- This was the first time that I would read any course materials and find myself pushing to squeeze ‘just one more’ in before bed. The materials approach writing from a different perspective, and I know that’s what made the difference.
- Since joining the course, and working with Mia, I have set up a writing schedule, and today I will have completed my entire rough draft of my first mystery novel. (Granted it is rough enough to cut a diamond, but I’m taking this as a win!)
- With the purchase of the class, I got several coaching sessions. These sessions were vital and let me tell you; the time difference didn’t matter! We were always able to find a time convenient to both of us, and to be honest, it got me up and working before the day even got started.
- I am not only feeling accomplished and excited about writing; I feel confident in a way that I have never felt before. I attribute all of this to the Writers Write course.
- If you are stuck with a manuscript and want insight, this is for you. If you want guidance with viewpoints, this is for you. If you want a professional to help you get over the hurdles preventing your success, this is for you.
My Only Regret
My only regret is that I wish I found Writers Write and Mia Botha four years ago. I would have saved a ton of time, a ton of energy, and a barge load of money.
I have always doubted my writing ability and before this course, the idea of someone reading my work could make me want to crawl out of my skin. There were days that I would read back what I wrote and want to give up.
However, the negative voice inside my head telling me I couldn’t do it wasn’t nearly as loud as Mia’s telling me I could. The course made me realise that every writer, even Hemingway thought his first draft was crap. The first draft of anything isn’t perfect, so stop beating yourself up.
Writers should write. Work out the little details after the first draft is done because, after that, you’ve done it. You’ve written a novel, something that only a small percent of the entire world ever accomplishes.”
TOP TIP: If you want to learn how to write a book, sign up for our online course.
by Marie Unanue. Visit Marie’s website: Let’s All Be Kind
If you enjoyed this, read: