In this post from Writers Write, your one-stop writing resource, we share a selection of our favourite quotes about the theatre.
To celebrate World Theatre Day (27 March) I have chosen 15 Quotes about the Theatre. I hope you enjoy them.
15 Quotes About The Theatre
- Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But theatre will make you good. ~Terrence Mann
- Secure writers don’t sell first drafts. They patiently rewrite until the script is as director-ready, as actor-ready as possible. Unfinished work invites tampering, while polished, mature work seals its integrity. ~Robert McKee
- The novel is more of a whisper, whereas the stage is a shout. ~Robert Holman
- The roles for women in theatre are much better than they are in film. ~Kim Cattrall
- The word theatre comes from the Greeks. It means the seeing place. It is the place people come to see the truth about life and the social situation. The theatre is a spiritual and social X-ray of its time. The theatre was created to tell people the truth about life and the social situation. ~Stella Adler
- I believe that in a great city, or even in a small city or a village, a great theatre is the outward and visible sign of an inward and probable culture. ~Laurence Olivier
- I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being. ~Oscar Wilde
- Acting is a sport. On stage you must be ready to move like a tennis player on his toes. Your concentration must be keen, your reflexes sharp; your body and mind are in top gear, the chase is on. Acting is energy. In the theatre people pay to see energy. ~Clive Swift
- The theatre is certainly a place for learning about the brevity of human glory: oh all those wonderful glittering absolutely vanished pantomime! ~Iris Murdoch
- The good die young but not always. The wicked prevail but not consistently. I am confused by life, and I feel safe within the confines of the theatre. ~Helen Hayes
- Family is the theatre of the spiritual drama, the place where things happen, especially the things that matter. ~G.K. Chesterton
- I definitely think that theatre is something I’ll keep coming back to in my career for as long as I can. I also think theatre’s something you have to be very fit to do. I am fairly fit, but I don’t think I could do it all the time. ~Daniel Radcliffe
- Theatre is a sacred space for actors. You are responsible; you are in the driving-seat. ~Greta Scacchi
- A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships. ~Gore Vidal
15. All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts.
If you enjoyed this post, you may want to read:
Top Tip: If you want to learn how to write a book, sign up for our online course.