Happy Birthday, Harlan Coben, born 4 January 1962.
Harlan Coben: Nine Quotes on Writing
- I never bought the excuse of not having time to write. If you really want to do it, you’re either going to find those hours or eventually decide not to be a writer.
- What I truly love about writing crime novels is that its form compels you to tell a story. That’s why I think it’s so popular and why I truly believe we are currently living in a golden age of crime fiction.
- Listen, I don’t care what you call me, as long as you read my book. One of the most annoying things writers say is that they only write for themselves and they don’t care if anyone reads it.
- I set the reader up and then I start twisting.
- I read Parker’s Spenser series in college. When it comes to detective novels, 90 percent of us admit he’s an influence, and the rest of us lie about it.
- The actual writing time is a lot shorter than the thinking time. I don’t do too many notes. I keep it mostly in my head. I usually start writing a new book around January, and it’s due October 1.
- People ask what my hobbies are. I don’t have hobbies. I don’t, because when I’m doing anything else, I feel like I’m supposed to be writing.
- The only thing an aspiring author needs to worry about is writing the best book that they possibly can. If the book is gripping and moving, it’ll sell no matter what.
- I like to read crime fiction. I know a lot of authors who don’t read in their fields of work, and especially when writing a novel, because they feel that they might somehow be influenced by what they’re reading. At this stage of my career, I feel my writing voice is my own, which may not have been the case when I started.
Harlan Coben is an American author of mystery novels and thrillers. With 60 million books in print, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels have debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller list. His novels, which include Tell No One, Six Years, and The Woods, are published in 41 languages. He is the first author to win all three of these awards: the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award.
Source for Image
Are you interested in more authors’ birthdays? Please click here: Literary Birthday Calendar