In this post, we explore a short history of Halloween.
From Samhain To Halloween
- Samhain is an ancient Gaelic festival celebrated from sunset on 31 October to sunset on 1 November.
- Many important events in mythology happen or begin on Samhain. It is seen as a liminal time, when spirits or fairies can more easily come into the world. The souls of the dead are also thought to visit their homes.
- Samhain was a time of feasts. Dressing up was part of the festival, and people went from door-to-door in costume or disguise, reciting verses in exchange for food.
- In the 9th century, the Catholic Church moved All Saints’ Day to 1 November and 2 November became All Souls’ Day.
- Over time, Samhain and All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day merged and became Halloween.
I posted these Seven Memorable Quotes For Halloween two years ago. I hope you enjoy them.
Source for image