Because Writers Write is a resource for writers, we’ve put together a list of awesome song titles for you to use as writing prompts.
Writing prompts are an excellent way to exercise the writing muscle. Writing prompts are suggestions for writers. They are usually words, images, or sentences that describe an idea or a situation. They give writers a starting point.
50 Song Titles That Ask Questions
We thought lyric titles that pose a question might be an interesting way to choose writing prompts.
If you have a writing group:
- Print these titles.
- Cut them into one-liners.
- Get everybody to pick one from a box.
- Or ask people to choose a number from 1-50.
Exercise: Answer the question by free writing for five minutes.
50 Awesome Song Titles To Use As Writing Prompts
[Download the list: 50 Song Titles To Use As Writing Prompts]
- Am I Going Crazy? – Korn
- Are You The Hypnotist? – Flaming Lips
- Baby, Can I Hold You Tonight? – Tracy Chapman
- Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’? – Rolling Stones
- Do You Believe In Life After Love? – Cher
- Do You Believe In Rapture? – Sonic Youth
- Do You Know The Way To San Jose? – Dionne Warwick
- Do You Love Me? – The Contours
- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? – Culture Club
- Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio? – Ramones
- Have I Told You Lately? – Van Morrison
- Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman? – Bryan Adams
- Have You Ever Seen The Rain? – Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Have You Seen Her? – Chi-Lites
- Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby? – Rolling Stones
- How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? – BeeGees
- How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I’ve Been A Liar All My Life – Fred Astaire
- How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? – Patti Page
- Life On Mars? – David Bowie
- Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now? – The Clash
- What Becomes Of The Broken-Hearted? Jimmy Ruffin
- What Does T.S. Eliot Know About You? – East River Pipe
- What Happened To You? – The Offspring
- What If God Was One Of Us? – Joan Osborne
- What Time Is It? – Spin Doctors
- What You Waiting For? – Gwen Stefani
- What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? – R.E.M.
- What’s My Age Again? – Blink 182
- What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love, And Understanding? – Elvis Costello
- Where Does The Ocean Go? – Katie Mellua
- Where Have All The Cowboys Gone – Paula Cole
- Which One Of Us Is The Fool? – Robert Palmer
- Who Are You? – The Who
- Who Do You Think You Are? – Spice Girls
- Who Makes You Feel? – Dido
- Who Wants To Live Forever? – Queen
- Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses? – U2
- Who’s Your Daddy?– Toby Keith
- Who’s Crying Now? – Journey
- Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under? – Shania Twain
- Why Can’t This Be Love? – Vanhalen
- Why Can’t We Be Friends? – War
- Why Do Fools Fall In Love? – Diana Ross
- Why Do I Keep Counting? – The Killers
- Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? – Moby
- Why Don’t We Do It In The Road? – The Beatles
- Will You Marry Me? – Paula Abdul
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? – The Shirelles
- Would I Lie To You? – The Eurythmics
- Wouldn’t It Be Nice? – The Beach Boys
Writing every day is good for you. As we say at Writers Write: ‘A page a day keeps insanity at bay.‘ If you have any interesting lyric titles, please share them with us in the comments section below.
Top Tip: If you want to learn how to write a book, sign up for our online course.
© Amanda Patterson
If you enjoyed this post, you will love