In this post, we discuss the most important quality modern authors need to cultivate.
Have modern authors forgotten how to be patient?
We seem to be in such a rush to publish that we often forget the basics. We need to learn how to write. We need to practise until we can call ourselves professional writers.
The Most Important Quality Modern Authors Need
We need to nurture and practise restraint.
Restraint, according to Oxford Dictionaries, is ‘Unemotional, dispassionate, or moderate behaviour; self-control.’
The age of self-publishing has exacerbated this lack of patience. We feel compelled to compete. To write, to skip proper editing, and to get the book out there.
It is important to remember that fiction writing is not an art. It is a craft and, like all crafts, it has to be learnt and applied.
Here are a few tips for fiction writers:
- Take your time.
- Try outlining.
- Create characters, not caricatures.
- Go on a course, if you can afford it.
- Write every day.
- Rewrite your finished book until the story is seamless.
- Edit your book.
If you enjoyed this post, read:
- 8 Types Of Opening Scenes That Could Work For Your Book
- 10 Cliffhangers That Make Readers Turn The Page
- 6 Simple Ways To Help You Find Out What Your Memoir’s About
TOP TIP: If you want to learn how to write a book, sign up for our online course.