In this post, your writing resource, we share 10 Writing Tips From Paulo Coelho, the Brazilian novelist.
Here are 10 writing tips from Paulo Coelho (born 24 August 1947) that will help you become a better writer.
10 Writing Tips From Paulo Coelho
- On Confidence: You cannot sell your next book by underrating your book that was just published. Be proud of what you have.
- On Story Arcs: There are only four types of stories: a love story between two people, a love story between three people, a struggle for power, and a journey.
- On Trust: Trust your reader, don’t try to describe things. Give a hint and they will fulfil this hint with their own imagination.
- On Expertise: You cannot take something out of nothing. When you write a book, use your experience.
- On Critics: Writers want to please their peers. They want to be recognised. Forget about this. Who cares? You should care to share your soul and not to please other writers who will write a review that nobody is going to read.
- On Notetaking: If you want to capture ideas, you are lost. You are going to be detached from emotions and forget to live your life. You will be an observer and not a human being living his or her life. Forget taking notes. What is important remains, what is not important goes away.
- On Research: If you overload your book with a lot of research, you are going to be very boring to yourself and to your reader. Books are not there to show how intelligent you are. Books are there to show your soul.
- On Writing: I write the book that wants to be written. Behind the first sentence is a thread that takes you to the last.
- On Style: Don’t try to innovate storytelling, tell a good story and it is magical. I see people trying to work so much in style, finding different ways to tell the same thing. It’s like fashion. Style is the dress, but the dress does not dictate what is inside the dress.
- On Simplicity: What counts in a good story is the person inside. Keep it simple.
Source: Paulo Coehlo
Paulo Coehlo has received numerous awards. As a writer, he has the highest number of social media followers. He reaches 29.5 million fans through his Facebook page and 12.2 million followers via Twitter. He has uploaded his personal papers online to create a virtual Paulo Coelho Foundation.
If you enjoyed this article, read: