In this post, we look at commonly confused abbreviations.
An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase.
Commonly Confused Abbreviations
The abbreviations: etc., i.e., and e.g. are commonly confused.
- Etc. means ‘continuing in the same way’.
- I.e. means ‘that is’.
- E.g. means ‘for example’.
Writing Tip: Always punctuate these abbreviations within commas.
- Buy carrots, oranges, apples, etc., at this shop.
- We give all clients an early bird discount, i.e., 10%.
- The course includes writing basics, e.g., grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Writing Tip: In good English, use ‘etc.’ as little as possible. It is better to be specific.
[Top Tip: If you need practical help with your grammar, buy The Complete Grammar Workbook.]
If you enjoyed this article, read these posts: