If you are creating character biographies, we have put together a list of nine character questionnaires for writers to use.
Writers want to create characters readers will remember. We want our readers to empathise with them and to be able to think about them as real people – even if the story is set in another dimension.
Character questionnaires help writers. We don’t want to go through 200 pages because we can’t find the colour of our love interest’s eyes. Questionnaires also help us to keep tab on their relationships and prevent plot holes.
Character questionnaires also give us plenty of material for our stories. In creating this backstory, we learn things we never imagined about our characters. If we get stuck in the middle of a novel, we can use this information to pad out a scene or move a plot forward.
One of the best ways to make sure we know who we’re writing about is by completing a character questionnaire for our main characters. We have posted a few ways to create character biographies over the years, and we’ve put them together in one post.
[TOP TIP: Use our Character Creation Kit to help you create great characters for your stories.]
9 Useful Character Questionnaires For Writers
If you are looking for in-depth character questionnaires, please have a look at these:
- The Only Character Questionnaire You Need to Complete
- 127 Prompts To Finish Before You Write About Yourself (Or Any Character)
- Character Questionnaire – How Well Do You Know Your Hero?
If you’re looking for questionnaires with a twist, use these:
- 15 Questions Authors Should Ask Characters
- 7 Useful Lists To Help You Create A Character
- Proust’s Questionnaire – 35 Questions Every Character Should Answer
- 5 Truly Unusual Ways To Round Out Your Characters
If you’re looking for basic questionnaires, try these:
- Character Interview – A Worksheet For Beginners
- Character Development Checklist – 13 Points To Consider
TOP TIP: If you want to learn how to write a book, sign up for our online course.
If you enjoyed this post, read: