Read our Writers Write interview with André Brink, the South African novelist.
The Writers Write Interview With André Brink
Author: André Brink
Birthday: 29 May 1935
Date: 13 July 2005
Where: Leonidas Coffee Shop, Hyde Park
The Book: Praying Mantis
Interviewer: Amanda Patterson
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
2. What is your most treasured possession?
A little blue bus given to me by a friend 3 years ago. It sits on my desk.
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
George W. Bush
4. What is your greatest fear?
Meeting George W. Bush
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
The music of Mozart.
6. What is your greatest regret?
That Shakespeare is dead.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
9. What is your favourite journey?
To the south of France.
10. What do you most value in a friend?
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
The ability to laugh with me.
12. Which book that `you’ve written is your favourite?
An Instant in the Wind.
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
To believe utterly in the story you have to tell.
14. What are your favourite names?
Chris for men and Sonja for women.
15. What do you do as a hobby?
I listen to music – Mozart.
16. What are your top 3 books?
- Don Quixote
- The Brothers of Karamazov
- 100 Years of Solitude
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
In the bath.
13 July 2005