Writers Write is your one-stop resource for writers. In this post, we share the five elements of story using the premise that a character needs five things.
What are the five elements of a story? This post offers an interesting way to look at the layers of a story.
Many writers believe that stories begin with characters and the plot develops from them. This chart says that for a story to work, a character needs five things.
The 5 Elements Of Story
He or she needs something:
- To care about.
- To want.
- To dread.
- To suffer.
- To learn.
The remainder of the story will develop from these needs.
Original Source: @DanielSchwabauer, www.oneyearnovel.com
If you enjoyed this post, read these:
- The 4 Main Characters As Literary Devices
- 15 Questions Authors Should Ask Characters
- Torture your Character – The 3 Most Effective Types of Inner Conflict
- Character Development Checklist
- Universal Needs – Creating Characters