Happy Birthday, Erin Morgenstern, born 8 July 1978.
- I binge write. I think it’s because I started seriously writing by participating in National Novel Writing Month, an online-based challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days.
- I’m a firm believer that lighting affects mood, and twinkly lights on strings bring something magical to occasions ranging from concerts to weddings, though I’m fond of using them as year-round home décor. There’s a reason why they’re sometimes called fairy lights. When the light is right, there aren’t any strings at all.
- I draft quickly and then revise, a lot.
- When I was growing up, if there was a Young Adult section of my town’s library, I missed it. I wandered right from The Babysitter’s Club over to Stephen King. His books were big and fat and they seemed important. I eventually worked my way through most of the shelf, but It is the one that stuck with me.
- Sometimes I write what I can’t paint, and I paint what I can’t write. I use a different part of the brain.
- I don’t have any particular rituals, I sometimes like to write in longhand when I’m searching for ideas but I do the vast majority by typing, I can’t always keep up with my thoughts longhand.
- I’m not a coffee shop writer because I feel obliged to order more coffee and then I end up over-caffeinated.
- I would have written you, myself, if I could put down in words everything I want to say to you. A sea of ink would not be enough.
- This is not magic. This is the way the world is, only very few people take the time to stop and note it.
Source for photo: Larry D. Moore, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Erin_morgenstern_2011.jpg
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar