Julius Lester was born 27 January 1939 and died 18 January 2018.
- History is not just facts and events. History is also a pain in the heart and we repeat history until we are able to make another’s pain in the heart our own.
- A good teacher is one who helps you become who you feel yourself to be. A good teacher is also one who says something that you won’t understand until 10 years later.
- Each of us is comprised of stories, stories not only about ourselves but stories about ancestors we never knew and people we’ve never met.
- I write because the lives of all of us are stories. If enough of those stories are told, then perhaps we will begin to see that our lives are the same story. The differences are merely in the details.
- To write and not tell the truth? That would be death for any writer. But more, it would be death to the imagination. And if the imagination dies, what would happen to the souls of children?
Julius Lester was an American writer of books for children and adults. He taught for 32 years at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He was also a photographer and a musician who recorded two albums of folk music and original songs. He is the author of Day of Tears.
Source for quotes
Are you interested in more authors’ birthdays? Please click here: Literary Birthday Calendar