Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar
Leonard Bernstein was born 25 August 1918 and died 14 October 1990.
- To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.
- Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time… The wait is simply too long.
- I’ve been all over the world and I’ve never seen a statue of a critic.
- Any great art work … revives and re-adapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world – the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air.
- A liberal is a man or a woman or a child who looks forward to a better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future.
- The point is, art never stopped a war and never got anybody a job. That was never its function. Art cannot change events. But it can change people. It can affect people so that they are changed… because people are changed by art – enriched, ennobled, encouraged – they then act in a way that may affect the course of events… by the way they vote, they behave, the way they think.
Source for image