Alice Meynell was born 22 September 1847, and died 27 November 1922.
- Happiness is not a matter of events, it depends upon the tides of the mind.
- There is something very cheerful and courageous in the setting-out of a child on a journey of speech with so small baggage and with so much confidence.
- If life is not always poetical, it is at least metrical.
- Dialect is the elf rather than the genius of place.
- If there is a look of human eyes that tells of perpetual loneliness, so there is also the familiar look that is the sign of perpetual crowds.
- The sense of humour has other things to do than to make itself conspicuous in the act of laughter.
- Difficult thoughts are quite distinct from difficult words. Difficulty of thought is the very heart of poetry.
Source for Image
Published by Herder, MO, USA, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar