Happy Birthday, John Ajvide Lindqvist, born 2 December 1968.
- I try to write in such a way that you can read my stories out loud.
- Who can really say how decisions are made, how emotions change, how ideas arise? We talk about inspiration; about a bolt of lightning from a clear sky, but perhaps everything is just as simple and just as infinitely complex as the processes that make a particular leaf fall at a particular moment. That point has been reached, that’s all. It has to happen, and it does happen.
- You can plan for things, work towards them for years, and yet they never materialise. Or you can just happen to be in the right place at the right moment, and everything falls into place.
- A new life? There’s not such thing. It was only in the magazine headlines that people got a new life.
- Which monster do you choose?
- I certainly feel that a story becomes much more interesting when you can identify or at least feel sympathy for the monster.
- I don’t believe in inspiration, but in sitting out your hours at the desk.
Source for image
Mattias Blomgren, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Source for writing tips
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar