Helene Hanff was born 15 April 1916 and died 9 April 1997.
Helene Hanff Quotes
- I do love second-hand books that open to the page some previous owner read oftenest.
- I love inscriptions on flyleaves and notes in margins, I like the comradely sense of turning pages someone else turned, and reading passages someone long gone has called my attention to.
- If you happen to pass by 84 Charing Cross Road, kiss it for me? I owe it so much.
- 84, Charing Cross Road was no best seller, you understand; it didn’t make me rich or famous. It just got me hundreds of letters and phone calls from people I never knew existed; it got me wonderful reviews; it restored a self-confidence and self-esteem I’d lost somewhere along the way, God knows how many years ago. It brought me to England. It changed my life.
- History, as they say, is alive and well and living in London.
- Standing there, staring at the long shelves crammed with books, I felt myself relax and was suddenly at peace.
Source for Image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar