Happy Birthday, Rafael Yglesias, born 12 May 1954.
Rafael Yglesias Quotes
- Whether you want to entertain or to provoke, to break hearts or reassure them, what you bring to your writing must consist of your longings and disappointments.
- Relationships, it seems to me, are timeless. What works between two people always works; what doesn’t is always troublesome. Over time, people learn – or not – how to negotiate what’s difficult, but that doesn’t mean the misfit has gone away entirely.
- To me, people’s lives and loves are entwined with their characters, natures and circumstances.
- It’s hard to conceive of someone who could work for at least a few hours each day for months and years on the same story without it being close enough to their life experience to fuel their commitment.
- In general I was influenced by the 19th century realists… The almost missionary zeal with which they detail the psychology of their characters and reveal the material secrets of the society in which they lived, have always been more thrilling to me than the most elegant sentence.
Source for photograph
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar