Happy Birthday, Robert Hass, born 1 March 1941.
- Take the time to write. You can do your life’s work in half an hour a day.
- A word is elegy to what it signifies.
- Reading is a gymnasium for the imagination where people can work out, get ready for the shocks of existence.
- The basis of art is change in the universe.
- Imagination runs through the places where we live like water. We need both things-a living knowledge of the land and a live imagination of it and our place in it- if we are going to preserve it.
- Writing is an incessant process of discovery.
- Images are not quite ideas, they are stiller than that, with less implication outside themselves. And they are not myth, they do not have the explanatory power; they are nearer to pure story. Nor are they always metaphors; they do not say this is that, they say this is.
- It’s hell writing and it’s hell not writing. The only tolerable state is having just written.
- It is good sometimes for poetry to disenchant us.
Robert Hass is an American poet who was Poet Laureate of the United States from 1995 to 1997. He won the 2007 National Book Award and shared the 2008 Pulitzer Prize for the collection Time and Materials: Poems 1997-2005.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar