Writers Write is a business writing resource. Use these 5 simple ways to help you communicate in a positive manner.
Project a positive image in your written and spoken communications especially if you are writing for business. If you use negative language you will not receive a positive response from people.
Your tone is important and if you aren’t careful, you could elicit an unfavourable response. or cause unnecessary conflict and tension where there should be none.
5 Simple Ways To Help You Communicate In A Positive Manner
1. Use neutral wording. Avoid blaming language.
- Say: I want to explain what I meant.
- Don’t say: You didn’t understand what I said.
2. Say what staff should do. Avoid saying what they should not do.
- Say: Always be at work by 08:30.
- Don’t say: Never be late for work.
3. Communicate what you can do. Leave out what you can’t do.
- Say: I can see you tomorrow morning.
- Don’t say: I can’t see you today. You have to wait until tomorrow.
4. Use words that create a positive feeling.
- Say: We value our employees.
- Don’t say: We don’t ignore our employees.
5. Use every opportunity to communicate positively.
- Say: Thank you for your email.
- Don’t say: We acknowledge your email.
If you employ these five simple ways to help you communicate in a positive manner, you will get a better response and leave your customers feeling more positive about you.
Business Writing Tip: Avoid negative language if you want to engage your audience.
If you enjoyed this article, read these posts:
If you want to improve your business writing, buy The Complete Grammar Workbook.