Read our Writers Write Interview with Tom Eaton, the South African journalist and writer.
The Writers Write Interview With Tom Eaton
Author: Tom Eaton
Birthday: 5 February 1977
Date: 20 October 2006
Where: Coachman’s Crossing, Bryanston, South Africa
The Book: Texas (Penguin)
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
Tintin or his arch nemesis, Rastapopolous.
2. What is your most treasured possession?
My ability to write.
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
The kind of person who is arrogant without talent.
4. What is your greatest fear?
To not be quite good enough for myself.
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
Animals – some precious dogs – uncomplicated love.
6. What is your greatest regret?
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
Any character from Damon Runyon’s short stories, especially from Butch Minds The Baby.
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan
9. What is your favourite journey?
From Cape Town to the southern suburbs via Kirstenbosch at night, because of the sights and smells.
10. What do you most value in a friend?
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
A playful sense of humour.
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
The Wading. It’s a serious novel about insiders and outsiders.
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Just do it.
14. What are your favourite names?
15. What do you do as a hobby?
I have no spare time for hobbies, but I used to collect coins.
16. What are your top three books?
- The Magus by John Fowles
- The Inheritors by William Golding
- ‘n Ander Land by Karel Schoeman
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
Random times – in all situations.
20 October 2006