In this post, we share our interview with Mavis Cheek. The author was our guest at an event in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Mavis Cheek is ‘an English novelist who describes herself as one in a line of feminist, subversive women authors – with jokes. She is the author of 15 novels, which have been widely translated into other languages.’
The Writers Write Interview With Mavis Cheek
Author: Mavis Cheek
Birthday: 15 June 1948
Date: 20 February 2007
Where: Erwins, Sandton, South Africa
The Book: Yesterday’s Houses (Faber & Faber)
1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
2. What is your most treasured possession?
My daughter, but since I don’t own her, it would have to be my photographs.
3. Which living person do you most dislike?
Any lying politician.
4. What is your greatest fear?
In personal terms, debt.
5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
The man who broke my heart. Who else?
6. What is your greatest regret?
Not being able to eat chocolate without putting on weight – or seriously not being able to have another child.
7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
Jane Eyre, or Eat Peach Pear Plum to my daughter.
9. What is your favourite journey?
The one going home.
10. Cats or dogs? Which do you prefer
11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
12. Which book that you’ve written is your favourite?
It changes daily. Yesterday it was Janice Gentle Gets Sexy and today it’s Yesterday’s Houses.
13. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Have something to say and write it with disciplined application.
14. What are your favourite names?
Bella. And any name that is not Mavis.
15. What do you do as a hobby?
Nothing practical – theatre, reading, travel – the usual suspects.
16. What are your top three books?
- Jane Eyre, William book (any), and Ovid’s love poems (with all the naughty bits).
17. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
Interviewer: Amanda Patterson, 20 February 2007
If you want to read more of our interviews, click here