Writers Write is a writing resource. In this post, we share the top 10 spelling tips to help you when you write.
The Top 10 Spelling Tips
- Use spell check with care. It can’t see the difference between ‘off’ and ‘of”, ‘piece’ and ‘peas’. Print your writing and check it yourself.
- Keep a printed visible list of the ‘spelling demons’ that cause you the most problems.
- Observe words. Look at signs, posters and headlines. Associate them with other words and pictures.
- Use a dictionary.
- Break words into syllables. Practice each part and then the whole word. Example: dis-ap-pear-ing
- Make time to proofread and edit.
- Ask yourself: How is this word like other words I know? Find patterns among words to learn spelling.
- Choose UK or US spelling and stick to your choice.
- The best spelling tip you can give anyone is this: Read. Read books, newspapers, magazines.
- Ask for help if you need it. You are not alone.
If you want to improve your business writing skills, join us for The Plain Language Programme.
© Amanda Patterson
If you enjoyed this article, read these posts: