Happy Birthday, Berlie Doherty, born 6 November 1943.
Berlie Doherty Quotes
- Requiem took me ten years to write! I also wrote six books for children and several plays at the same time. Children of Winter took me about two weeks – the story just fell out of my head on to the paper! But usually, a children’s novel takes about twelve months, a picture book about a day. But that doesn’t take account of the years spent thinking.
- But why do I do it? Because I love writing more than anything else, I suppose!
- I think writing was a compulsion and still is – whatever new experience I have I feel a need to write it down, and my writing will include the physical description of the place where it happened, the emotions I felt, the people I met, even the conversations I had. Other people take photographs or paint pictures, but I need to write everything down.
- Try lots of different things – poetry, stories, and plays. Try to write something every day, even if it’s a diary. Try to describe a place, or a person, or an event every week. And never imagine for a moment that it’s going to be easy!
- I want children to be fascinated or excited or moved by what I write. But I also want to write about something that matters both to them and to me.
Source for Image and Quotes
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar