Happy Birthday, Jason Reynolds, born 6 December 1983.
- So, I’m a writer. And when I say I’m a writer, I mean it in the same way a professional ball player calls himself an athlete. I practice everyday and do the best I can to be better at this writing thing, while hopefully bringing some cool stories to the world. The stories are kinda like my slam dunks. Except, I’m dunking words. In your FACE! Ha!
- I try to create characters people want to sit with, even if nothing is happening.
- I believe that every character is a setting, a world with moving parts, and on the other hand, every setting is, in fact, a character – a living breathing thing with personality and backstory. The way stories come to life, at least for me, is when these elements commune in relationship to one another.
- I read tons of books, listen to music non-stop, watch as many movies as possible, catch a play when I can, art shows, concerts, bar talks – I just try to engage in art, which to me is everywhere, as often as I can because narrative lives in it all.
- I’m writing all the books I wish I had when I was a kid.
Jason Reynolds is an American author of novels and poetry for young adult and middle-grade audiences. Titles include Ghost, a National Book Award Finalist for Young People’s Literature, Patina, and As Brave As You. He was named the Library of Congress’ national ambassador for young people’s literature in 2020.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar