Happy Birthday, Liesel Schwarz, born 29 October 1974.
Seven Writerly Things
- I am a firm believer in the ABC method of writing. (Apply Bottom to Chair) You can’t do anything until you have a completed draft.
- My MA dissertation became my debut novel. It can happen. See rule 1 above.
- My mind is a little like the picture below. Tug at one little thread and you get a thought explosion. Sifting through this in order to keep what works and bin what doesn’t is part of my process.
- I have three cats. They are all specially trained writer companion cats. Their job involves sleeping in various strategically located warm places while I write. A large percentage of typos in my manuscripts are feline contributions to the literary world (aka walking over the keyboard when I’m not looking.)
- I really do live in a haunted stone cottage at the edge of a forest.
- I do my best work between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 a.m. I love writing while the world is still sleeping, but I can write anywhere.
- I have an irrational dislike of the colour yellow and so I cannot abide yellow post it notes. Pink and green ones are fine though.
Liesel Schwarz is a South African writer. She is the author of The Chronicles of Light and Shadow series, which begins with A Conspiracy of Alchemists, and Writing SFF. She is also a graduate of our Writers Write courses.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar