Happy Birthday, Shan Sa, born 26 October 1972.
- I would like to be a philosopher in ancient Athens and a poet in ancient China.
- Politicians are better liars than writers.
- Happiness is something you lay siege to, it is a battle like a game of go. I will take hold of all the pain and snuff it out.
- I talk to trees and animals. We have interesting conversations about food, weather, and love. They sometimes can predict the future.
- Heroes are damned. No mortal conquers Death.
Shan Sa is the pseudonym of Yan Ni, a French author and painter. She adopted the pseudonym Shan Sa from a poem by the Tang Dynasty poet Bai Juyi. Her novels include The Girl Who Played Go and Empress. She was awarded chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 2009 and chevalier of the Ordre national du Mérite in 2011.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar