Happy Birthday, Kristin Hannah, born 25 September 1960.
Kristin Hannah Quotes
- Books + friendship = book club.
- Finding your passion isn’t just about careers and money. It’s about finding your authentic self. The one you’ve buried beneath other people’s needs.
- Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of writers come and go — published and unpublished — and what I’ve learned is that the ones who make it keep writing no matter what. When life is tough, they write; when the kids are sick, they write; when rejections pile up, they write.
- Today’s young people want to know everything about everyone. They think talking about a problem will solve it. I come from a quieter generation. We understand the value of forgetting, the lure of reinvention.
- Sitting around and waiting for your muse is not the best choice.
- It’s a job. I sit down and treat it like a job – you can’t do anything with a blank page.
- Popularity means people think they know you.
- Generally, I spend about three months coming up with idea, researching it, and formulating a loose plan for the spine of the story and the character arcs. After a few months of research, the writing of the first draft — if I’m lucky — is about five months. This usually entails several “wrong” starts and do-overs. The final process of taking that draft and turning it into the novel I’d envisioned takes between four and six months. Normally, I do about ten drafts of the book.
- The great thing about being a writer is that there really is no typical day.
- When I was a beginning writer, I followed a strict, twenty-page outline and lengthy character biographies. I spent a lot of my research time creating characters; then I moved them through the plot as I’d conceived it.
Kristin Hannah is an American author. She has won numerous awards, including the Golden Heart, the Maggie, and the 1996 National Reader’s Choice award. Her novels include Firefly Lane, Home Front, and The Nightingale. Read more about her: kristinhannah.com
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar