Bret Harte was born 25 August 1836 and died 5 May 1902
- The only sure thing about luck is that it will change.
- It would seem evident, therefore, that the secret of the American short story was the treatment of characteristic American life, with absolute knowledge of its peculiarities and sympathy with its method.
- Of all words of tongue and pen, The saddest are, “It might have been.”
- We begin to die as soon as we are born, and the end is linked to the beginning.
- A bird in the hand is a certainty, but a bird in the bush may sing.
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar