Happy Birthday, Norman Rush, born 24 October 1933.
- Literature is humanity talking to itself.
- The main effort of arranging your life should be to progressively reduce the amount of time required to decently maintain yourself so that you can have all the time you want for reading.
- The characters write the plot. Their natures do.
- It’s a rare reader who doesn’t go to the novel looking for a kind of encouragement to live.
- I must love big novels, because that’s what I’ve written. It takes a while before you begin to breathe the air the characters breathe.
Norman Rush is an American author who writes novels and short stories set in Botswana in the 1980s. He won the U.S. National Book Award and the 1992 Irish Times/Aer Lingus International Fiction Prize for his novel Mating.
Source for image: Telegraph
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar