Happy Birthday, Jonathan Franzen, born 17 August 1959.
- But the first lesson reading teaches is how to be alone.
- Fiction, I believed, was the transmutation of experiential dross into linguistic gold. Fiction meant taking up whatever the world had abandoned by the road and making something beautiful out of it.
- It’s just a matter of writing the kind of book I enjoy reading. Something better be happening at the beginning, and then on every page after, or I get irritated.
- I used to think it was hard to write, and I still find the process more or less unpleasant, but if I know what I’m doing it rattles along, then the rewrite whips it into shape rather quickly.
- More and more, I think of novel writing as a kind of deliberate dreaming.
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar