F. R. Leavis was born 14 July 1895 and died 14 April 1978.
- Poetry can communicate the actual quality of experience with a subtlety and precision unapproachable by any other means.
- Literature is the supreme means by which you renew your sensuous and emotional life and learn a new awareness.
- The only way to escape misrepresentation is never to commit oneself to any critical judgement that makes an impact – that is, never to say anything.
- The best way to promote profitable discussion is to be as clear as possible with oneself about what one sees and judges, to try and establish the essential discriminations in the given field of interest, and to state them as clearly as one can (for disagreement, if necessary).
- Not only is he not a genius; he is intellectually as undistinguished as it is possible to be.
- He doesn’t know what he means, and doesn’t know he doesn’t know.
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar