Happy Birthday, Elliot Ackerman, born 12 April 1980.
Elliot Ackerman Quotes
- Literature has always been a part of my life. I studied history and literature in college. My mother is a novelist; I grew up around books.
- The creation is a very internal process, and publishing the book is a very external process. It is nice to see the book out in the world and people having the same reaction as when I created it. The point of all art is the emotional transference, and when that happens, the book has succeeded.
- Wars have economies. And I don’t mean financial economies, although that’s often part of it. Why do people continue fighting these wars? There are financial incentives.
- All art to me is an empathetic act. Whoever’s telling a story is trying to transfer emotion into someone else.
- When you go to war, it’s important for everybody to know that they’re going to come home in one way or other.
Elliot Ackerman is an American author who served five tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. His essays and fiction have appeared in The New Yorker and The Atlantic, among others. He lives in Istanbul where he writes on the Syrian Civil War. Green on Blue is his first novel. Follow him on Twitter: @elliotackerman
Source for image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar