Jill Murphy was born 5 July 1949 and died 18 August 2021.
- My earliest memory (my mum tells me I was two), is sitting on the kitchen floor surrounded by sheets of drawings.
- I could always draw my way out of trouble if we had a tricky history project!
- I still feel more comfortable in the company of children, so it’s natural I should write something about things they appreciate.
- I wanted to write about girls who were misfits, like I was, with unfashionably long, dark, straggly hair, and a heroine who was as hopeless as I was but for whom it came out all right in the end.
- I always speak the dialogue aloud to see if it sounds natural.
Source for Image
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar