Maxim Gorky was born 28 March 1868, and died 18 June 1936.
Seven Maxim Gorky Quotes
- Happiness always looks small while you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and you learn at once how big and precious it is.
- You can’t do without philosophy, since everything has its hidden meaning which we must know.
- You must write for children in the same way as you do for adults, only better.
- Keep reading books, but remember that a book’s only a book, and you should learn to think for yourself.
- Just as science is the intellect of the world, art is its soul.
- When one loves somebody everything is clear – where to go, what to do – it all takes care of itself and one doesn’t have to ask anybody about anything.
- Everybody, my friend, everybody lives for something better to come. That’s why we want to be considerate of every man – Who knows what’s in him, why he was born and what he can do?
Maxim Gorky was a Russian and Soviet writer. He was a founder of the Socialist Realism literary method and a political activist. After his death Gorky was canonised as the patron saint of Soviet letters. His works are available in The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky.
Are you interested in more authors’ birthdays? Please click here: Literary Birthday Calendar