Happy Birthday, Judy Blume, born 12 February 1938.
Top 10 Quotes on Reading and Writing
- [I]t’s not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers.
- The best books come from some place deep inside…. Become emotionally involved. If you don’t care about your characters, your readers won’t either.
- Something will be offensive to someone in every book, so you’ve got to fight it.
- I hate first drafts, and it never gets easier. People always wonder what kind of superhero power they’d like to have. I wanted the ability for someone to just open up my brain and take out the entire first draft and lay it down in front of me so I can just focus on the second, third and fourth drafts.
- I didn’t know anything about writers. It never occurred to me they were regular people and that I could grow up to become one, even though I loved to make up stories inside my head.
- I loved to read, and I think any child who loves to read will read anything, including the back of the cereal box, which I did every morning.
- Ideas seem to come from everywhere – my life, everything I see, hear, and read, and most of all, from my imagination. I have a lot of imagination.
- What I remember when I started to write was how I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning to get to my characters.
- I’m really quite bad at coming up with plot ideas. I like to create characters and just see what will happen to them when I let them loose!
- Fear is often disguised as moral outrage.
Judy Blume is an American author whose novels for children and young adults have sold more than 80 million copies and have been translated into 31 languages. Blume’s books were among the first to tackle racism, menstruation, divorce, bullying, masturbation, and teen sex. Blume’s novels include Deenie and Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret.
Source for this image: Source for image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JudyBlume2009(cropped).jpg JudyBlume2009.jpg: Carl Lender of Flickr.comderivative work: Solid State Survivor, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar