Happy Birthday, Alan Hollinghurst, born 26 May 1954.
- The great wisdom for writers, perhaps for everybody, is to come to understand to be at one with their own tempo.
- I like things to reverberate, to be suggestive.
- I think being an only child created in me a degree of self-reliance, which I’m glad of. It made me perfectly happy with my own company and perhaps was good conditioning for the protracted solitude of writing books as slowly as I do.
Source for quotes
Alan Hollinghurst’s Top Writing Tips
- Know where you’re going before you start.
- Don’t waste time but take your time.
- Keep a notebook at all times.
- Read. Read. Read.
- Don’t be disheartened by early criticism.
- If possible, have an inescapable writing routine.
- Don’t over define your characters. Let the reader imagine them.
Tips From the Writers Write interview
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar