Happy Birthday, Amin Maalouf, born 25 February 1949.
- A life spent writing has taught me to be wary of words. Those that seem clearest are often the most treacherous.
- When faced with a chaotic and convoluted situation, one always thinks that it will take centuries to sort it out. Suddenly a man appears and as if by magic, the tree we thought was doomed takes on new life and starts bearing leaves and fruits and giving shade.
- I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road… all tongues and all prayers belong to me. But I belong to none of them.
- Doctrines are meant to serve man, not the other way around.
- You can’t say history teaches us this or that; it gives us more questions than answers, and many answers to every question.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar