Jean Renoir was born 15 September 1894, and died 12 February 1979.
- The truly terrible thing is that everybody has their reasons.
- All great art is abstract.
- The average object in highly technological eras is ugly. Only the great artists are the exceptions. We live in an era in which one must be a great artist or nothing.
- Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal?
- A director makes only one movie in his life. Then he breaks it into pieces and makes it again.
- The foundation of all civilisation is loitering.
- My dream is of a craftsman’s cinema in which the author can express himself as directly as the painter in his paintings or the writer in his books.
Jean Renoir was a French film director, screenwriter, actor, producer and author. As a director and actor, he made more than forty films. As an author, he wrote the definitive biography of his father, the painter, Renoir, My Father.
Source for Image
Brazilian National Archives, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons