Eugenio Montale was born 12 October 1896, and died 12 September 1981.
- Mass communication, radio, and especially television, have attempted, not without success, to annihilate every possibility of solitude and reflection.
- For my part, if I consider poetry as an object, I maintain that it is born of the necessity of adding a vocal sound (speech) to the hammering of the first tribal music.
- There is also poetry written to be shouted in a square in front of an enthusiastic crowd. This occurs especially in countries where authoritarian regimes are in power.
- No writer in our time has been more isolated than Kafka, and yet few have achieved communication as well as he did.
- I do not go in search of poetry. I wait for poetry to visit me.
- Slowly poetry becomes visual because it paints images, but it is also musical: it unites two arts into one.
- The poet does not know – often he will never know – whom he really writes for.
Source for Image
Kaj Hagman., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar