Carl Van Doren was born 10 September 1885, and died 18 July 1950.
- Yes, it’s hard to write, but it’s harder not to.
- The measure of the creator is the amount of life he puts into his work.
- The most familiar quotations are the most likely to be misquoted . . . . Some have settled down to false versions that have obscured the true ones. They have passed over from literature into speech.
- A classic is a book that doesn’t have to be written again.
- The race of man, while sheep in credulity, are wolves for conformity.
Please click here for our Literary Birthday Calendar