In this post, we share our interview with Jeffery Deaver. The American crime author was our guest at an event in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The Writers Write Interview With Jeffery Deaver
Jeffery Deaver writes at least one book a year. He treats writing as a business. He speaks about the demographics of his readers. He understands his audience and the market and he knows how to make readers turn the page. He says, “We are competing against Angry Birds. We need to make our product more appealing than video games.”
- If love were a colour, what colour would it be? Green
- What is the colour of anger? Red
- What is the colour of money? Black
- What is the colour of beauty? White
- What is the colour of desire? White
- Writing sounds like Beethoven’s Piano Concerto 4 in G Minor Opus 58
- Writing looks like Monet’s Water Lilies
- Writing tastes like Coq au Vin with Pouligny Montrechet
- Writing smells like Chanel No 5
- Writing feels like silk
- If your life were a city, what city would it be? NYC, Manhattan
- What is the number you associate with reading? 4
- What is the number you associate with your day job – before you became a writer? -42 (I hated being a lawyer)
- What is the number you associate with writing? 12
- What is your favourite number? 7
Edwin Sharp is the stalker in your novel, XO.
- If Edwin’s mind were a country, it would be Uzbekistan.
- Where would it shop? Dollar Store.
- It would look like a magnifying glass.
- It would sound like a cacophony.
- It would taste like pepper sauce.
- It would smell like Kayleigh’s perfume.
- It would feel like sweaty skin.
- If Edwin were an animal, which animal would he be? A stoat.
- If your protagonist, Kathryn Dance, were an animal which animal would she be? A wolf.
More Q & A
Bœuf Bourguignon with Chateauneuf de Pape.
What are you reading?
The Hunger Games.
Where do you live?
North Carolina & Washington DC.
Why do you live there?
For the dogs in North Carolina and the friends in Washington DC.
How has living there affected your writing?
Not at all. I write anywhere. I write 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.
What is your favourite quality about yourself?
What is your least favourite quality about yourself?
Do you have a favourite quote?
Take it easy, but take it. ~Studs Turkel
Why is it your favourite?
Life is difficult and it will stress us out, but it’s important to persevere. We must go on and be kind and productive.
What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life?
Making people enjoy reading books. Particularly young people who may have not read any fiction before reading my books.
How did you come up with the titles of your books?
They emerge in the process of researching the book. The title must be both literal and a metaphor for the subject matter of the book.
Who designed the covers?
Designers, but I do have a say in the end product.
Why did you choose to write this particular book?
I enjoy writing about personal terror, and there is nothing more personally frightening than a stalker.
What was the hardest part about writing this book?
The violent scenes.
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
1. A Lincoln Rhyme novel – The Kill Room
2. A short story – Troubled in Mississipi
3. A novella and two short stories
- – Ski the Alps.
- – Cookery class at The Cordon Bleu.
- – Fence in a serious fencing competition.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Speaking to a charming interviewer like you and speaking about my six or seven new books.
When you stop writing, and look back on your life, what thoughts would you like to have?
That I entertained people.